Zeitschrift "Der Westkämpfer"

• Dr. Hans Kaiser
    Terwelpstr. 4
    47906 Kempen
    Tel. 02152/8925469
    Mail: emailadresse gelöscht wegen Spamgefahr. UHolthausen

Allen Mitarbeitern und Freunden des Forums der Wehrmacht ein gutes neues Jahr 2017!

Ich teile im Folgenden die Korrespondenz mit einer Dame aus den Niederlanden mit, deren Großvater im Februar 1945 als Zeichner für eine deutsche Zeitschrift "Der Westkämpfer" arbeitete. Das mir von ihr als Beleg geschickte Faksimile-Blatt zu übermitteln bin ich leider technisch nicht in der Lage. Ich nehme an, dass der Zeichner Mitglied der im Juni 1944 in Kempen/Niederrhein formierten SS-Propaganda-Einheit "Skorpion West" war.

Wer kann weitere Informationen beschaffen? Zum Hintergrund lege ich den entsprechenden Abschnitt aus meinem Buch "Kempen im Krieg", erschienen im Februar 2014 in der Schriftenreihe des Kreises Viersen, bei.
    Danke für Eure Mühe!

Hans Kaiser

Dear Onno,

thank you for your interesting information.

I suppose that your grandfather was a member of the SS-propganda-unit "Skorpion West", which was formed in Kempen in June 1944. They were idealists and motivated to defend the European culture against the invasion of Communism.

Among other tasks this unit had to produce propaganda newspapers for the German soldiers. They have been working dotted over the whole region of the lower Rhine. In Kempen they printed the propaganda newspaper "Skorpion" (see the cover of the first edition on p. 523). From my book "Kempen unterm Hakenkreuz, Band 2. Eine niederrheinische Kreisstadt im Krieg", I send you from the correction manuscript the chapter about this unit (p. 517-524). There you find that French authors were working for the "Skorpion" (like Dr. Andre Lacroix from Paris, p. 518) and SS-soldiers coming from the Netherlands (like the film reporter Wouter de Vries, see p. 520).

On the page you sent to me I find as an author Victor Auburtin (* 5. September 1870 in Berlin; † 28. Juni 1928 in Partenkirchen). He was a German journalist, whose ancestors came from France to Prussia. Therefore I suppose that "The Westkämpfer" was published by people who knew everything about the French-German culture. Very educated people.

Victor Auburtin, Relief der Grabplatte

Leaflets produced from this unit have been published by Klaus Kirchner (Flugblatt-Propaganda im 2. Weltkrieg/Europa. Leaflets from Germany for American soldiers in Western Europe, 1944/Bd. 16, 1945/Bd. 17, Erlangen 2007) and by Wolfgang Fleischer/Richard Eiermann, Das letzte Jahr der Waffen-SS. Mai 1944-Mai 1945, Wölfersheim-Berstadt 1997, p. 107, 158. You will find a thick file containing a lot of names from this unit in the

Bundesarchiv Militärarchiv (BArch-MA), Wiesentalstraße 10, 79115 Freiburg.

Maybe you will find the name of your grandfather in that file or in of the books I quotated. I corresponded about files in that Archive with Mr. Frank Anton
    f.anton[at]bundesarchiv.de

I was in that archive in 2013/2014 and I have found a lot of information about the "Skorpion", too.

Could I help you?

Looking forward to your answer

Yours

Hans Kaiser

Dear Ulrich & Hans,
    I sincerely need somebody in Germany to help me in my Search for Zwagers. Somebody who speaks the language, knows collectors and is willing to mail my mails tot musea and archives. For some reason whenever I mail Germans, they just don’t give any answer. Is it that they just don’t want to be reminded about the war?
    For now I’m sure that my grandfather (in law) has been in Aachen, Köln and Bergisch Gladbach. But I’ve have no proof of that in drawings.
    He was drawing for sure fort Der Westkampfer (is attached) which paper nobody seems to know…

Can you - or do you know somebody who would like to - help searching?

Thanks!

Onno Lassooy

• Hallo Hans,

auch Dir und den Deinen ein gutes und gesundes 2017!

a) Wenn ich recht verstehe, sind wir auf der Suche nach Namenslisten o. ä. von (ausländischen) Angehörigen der SS-Propaganda-Standarte.
    http://www.lexikon-zweiter-weltkrieg.de/%22Skorpion_West%22
    Da können vielleicht unsere SS-Spezialisten helfen.

b) Es gibt wohl auch ein ausführlicheres Buch "Die SS-Standarte Kurt Eggers: Psychologische Kriegsführung 1943-1945"
    von Ingo Seidel. Man kann Auszüge daraus bei
    https://books.google.de/books?id=s6uUO…page&q=Skorpion West&f=false
    einsehen. Vielleicht finden sich da noch weitere Informationen.

c) Hier gibt es Beispiele für Propagandablätter für die alliierten Soldaten:
    http://www.galerielaqua.de/zeitschriften/…id=424&pid=9551

Viele Grüße
    Bernhard

Edited 2 times, last by Bernhard_63 (January 6, 2017 at 3:01 PM).

• Hallo Hans,
    I can write and read German, but English is a bit easier for me.
    I’m interested in this subject because I’m doing research about the Flemish Kriegsberichter of the Waffen-SS.

- Wilhelm Zwagers -
    You can find information about Zwagers in the book ‘Kriegsberichter’ (Dutch), written by Gerard Groenveld.

- Am 1. Oktober 1944 nimmt Skorpion West im flämischen niederländisch-belgischen Grenzgebiet De Kempen (östlich von Antwerpen und südwestlich von Eindhoven) einen Propaganda-Mittelwellensender in Betrieb. Er trägt den Namen Concordia und arbeitet zusammen mit der flämischen (Dr. Van de Wiele) bzw. wallonischen (Léon Degrelle) Faschistenbewegung. -
    How was it possible to use transmitter in allied occupied territory?I guess the transmitter was used to broadcast the programs from Kampfsender Flandern and Wallonien? These two radio stations where created by the end of 1944 to transmit Kampfpropaganda to Belgium. These radio programs where transmitted from a radio station in Wipperfürth.

- André Lacroix -
    According to my information Lacroix was a Flemish SS-Kriegsberichter, do you have more information about Lacroix?

I still have to do a lot of research about the Kampfpropaganda and Skorpion West.
    Mit freundliche grüssen,
    Michaël