Feldpostnummer Fliegerhorst

• Hello - sorry to interrupt, but..

Rudolf, do you happen to know, if Luftwaffe-musicians in a "fliegerhorst" would be listed as "personnel" as well?
    I'm desperate in the search of my grandfathers assignments :)

Greetings from Denmark

• Thanks for the answer :)

My grandfather was 40-45 years old at the time of the war. I was told that all he did was play music. I got pictures of him in luffewaffe-uniforms with and without schwalbennests). WasT wrote that he was stationed at Seefliegerhorst, Travemünde, and later at Schutzpolizei, Lübeck.
    I've got his "erkennung mark" from Travemünde, but I just can't seem to find anything anywhere :-/

Thank you for the reply :)
    /Louise

Edited once, last by LouiseVV (August 22, 2017 at 11:19 AM).

• Thanks Rudolf, nice of you :)

I will try to look into the aidmen then.
    After 75 years my dad finally found his fathers name, and then a little bit of information from wasT.
    But what he did in Denmark in 1940 (9 month before my dad was born) is still a mystery - and i'm desperate to figure it out..

Thankful greetings
    /Louise

• But what he did in Denmark in 1940 (9 month before my dad was born) is still a mystery - and i'm desperate to figure it out..

Hello Louise,

I don't think, it's a "mistery"; Denmark was occupied by Germany and there
    were a lot of German military installation during WW II:
    http://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de/Kasernen/KasernenDaenemark-R.htm

Yours
    Rudolf (KINZINGER)

• I know. The mystery is what and where his assignments was here :)

It's not easy to find out, when the only information I've got of his "kompanie" doesn't show anywhere..

But I'll keep on searching :)

Greetings
    /Louise

• Hi Louise but what says the Erkennungsmarke? Probably he was in a static area (policeman in Germany and not at front) or probably he was later assigned to a Infanterie Ersatz Bataillon and moved in a Grenadier Regiment. Fliegerhorste gave replacements to Luftwaffe, SS and Heer Division. For example in HG Division there were more of 20 Fliegerhorste ersatz soldaten.
    Then soldiers in fliegerhorste moved in many units so probably he fought everywhere (for example is not usually reading german soldiers on Italian front from Ostbataillonen to soldiers born in Holland, France, Poland but in German Army...). Denmark soldiers were in Heer units or Freikorps SS Denmark or someone with Norske soldiers on Russian front in Wiking Division. Could be your grandfather was in a kind of "Home Guard" like in Britain in WW2?

• Hi Matteo, thank you, and sorry for asking questions in your thread :)

The erkennungsmarke-information from wasT only says:
    -103- S.Fl.H.Kp.Tra´de
    I don't know what the 103 is, but I guess the rest is Seefliegerhorst Kompanie Travemünde, where he was from at least 1937 to 1942.
    From 1942 and to his dead in 1945, he belonged to the "Kommando der Schutzpolizei, Lübeck".

At Travemünde he went from Unteroffizier to Feldwebel.
    At the Schutzpolizei he went from Rottwachtmeister to Hauptwachtmeister.

He was educated a musician. My newly found german family told me that all they ever heard was, that he played music..
    At the photos from at least 1940-42 he was wearing a luftwaffe-uniform (some with schwalbennest, as you maybe remember from my Uniform-thread in here?), and from 1942-1945 he was in a regular Polizei-uniform (No ss-rank).

My main priority is to figure out his assignment in Denmark (somewhere between aug-nov. 1940). But it's really not that easy :)

Greetings from Denmark

• Don'y worry, it 's a pleasure to be able to help you.
    I think that Seefliegerhorst Kompanie Travemünde is right because i thought "sicherungs"... probably he moved after training in a polizei regiment.
    103 is soldier number. For example Fl.H.Kdtr Crailsheim -3071- ( this number is soldier's stammrolle). If you want you can say where he died and when so we can try to identify his unit. In Denmark there weren't massacres like happened in Italy after the armistice (partisans killed fascists and germans in the death red triangle in Emilia-Romagna). So I think that he was killed in action on East Front (in 1945 was Germany-Polish border).
    Finally so he was trained in LW Fliegerhorst and then he went in Polizei. Ordnungspolizei? Schutzpolizei? Bahnschutzepolizei? :?: I think that I can find something but more infos are appreciated (for example one years ago in the thread with Nordmende123 about a Panzergrenadier killed at Salerno).

Regards from Italy

• http://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de/Kasernen/Wehrk…avemuende-R.htm

Fronttruppenteile

10. Staffel (See)/Lehrgeschwader 2

Aufklärungsgruppe 126

4. / Seeaufklärungsgruppe 126

Ersatztruppenteile

Kommandobehörden / Dienststellen

Fliegerhorst-Kommandantur 7/XI Schwerin-Görries mit Travemünde

I think was he a member of a standort in Germany as public order policeman in a city?

Polizei...i read carefully and you said that he was Schutzpolizei...I think he was all the war in "der Heimat" and not at the front because these Police units weren't at front (Feldgendarmerie and SS-Polizei or Einsatzgruppen instead yes). Schutzpolizei were at begin of war in Poland or France too but i think ihe probably spent time in Lubeck but in 1945 many people as Hitlerjugend, org.Todt, RAD, Sturmabteilung, Volkssturm ecc. were taken as first line troops.
    Probably he was killed by a "terrorangriff" as Dresda?

• Thank you very much Matteo, so sweet of you :)

He was born in 1897, so he was to old for the eastern front, and I know for a fact, that he did'nt die in battle.
    He suffered from a heart-attack after 3 years of illness, at the hospital in Lübeck. He was doing service in the 3 years under ”Kommando der Schutzpolizei”.

I think you are right about ”the heimat”-service, when he was sick and also to old for the ”SS”-polizei assignments.
    My best guess is, that he participated in the occupation of Denmark somehow, that was from April 9th 1940, and went very peaceful.

I found an old photo of him (estimated 1926), from a Police-ID card, granted by ”Polizeipräsidium, Polizeiamt 1, Berlin”. (Unfortunently just the photo - the card was missing). And he also got a 10years-medalle from the polizei – so he must have been in Polizei-service before the Luftwaffe as well.

I know that he was a highly educated musician, and I just can't forget the words ”All he did was play music”. Do you think that it is possible that it really was all he did? And why the Luftwaffe all of a sudden? (I'm going crazy of unanswered questions :D )

So 103 is his personal number, and not a number for the area (or Fliegerhorst)?
    I thought perhaps it was a area-code or something. I found out that Polizei-batallion 103 were from Hamburg nearby, and later united with Lübeck, so I was hoping for a match
    there :D

I have googled days and nights to figure this out – even found an old soldbuch online from Schutzpolizei, Lübeck. Perhaps from a mann that my Opa was in service with. It's pretty interesting, but it just leaves me with a lot of new questions :D

Gratefull wishes
    /Louise

• So probably he was a policeman in Weimar republic then became a musician in a Music band of LW but rentered in Polizei. He was trained by Seefliegerhorst Kompanie Travemünde with soldier number 103 (about Fliegerhorste there were only roman number for example Fliegerhorst-Kommandantur A 217/XII, that it means standort, blutgruppe, stammrolle and a roman number that was Fl.H.Kdtr. number or Wehrkreis number).
    I think perhaps he wasn't able to fight or mantain public order for this heart problems so he only played during important days or parades. All this suggest that only "war" he saw was in Denmark as occupant troops and in Denmark he went for service and in December 1940 returned in Germany (i think...) ?(
    The Kommando der Schutzpolizei I think was a "Standort" which controlled people from all kinds of insurrections. A kind of barracked Police. We are talking about a units present in all cities and all nations (useful like Landesschutzen Btl.) and there weren't riots so he spent this time very quite. Militar Polizei were in Naples too, for example, or in Rome. The first was there since 1941 but fought in September 1943 against Neapolitans and the second never fought (if you exclude via Rasella attack and SS massacre at Ardeatine caves).
    Same thing in France: in some cities Police never fought, in other fought like infantry. Somebody however was killed by partisans like a German at Tanus (France).

http://www.ladepeche.fr/article/2015/0…-1944-1944.html

Best regards Matteo