Siebert Johann /Schenk

• Hello,

First of all, excuse me for writing in English in an almost only German speaking froum.

I am looking for information about Oberstleutnant Johann SIEBERT and Maj SCHENK, who once belonged to II./Panzerregiment 11.

Any hint about their date/place of birth? Where did they end the war?

Many thanks in advance for your help,

• I have done some quick research in Internet and I am a little bit confused. Two more data:

1) Siebert appears mentioned in this very forum here: II./Panzerregiment 11. As you can see, not only user "rechercher" calls refers to him as "Johann", but the signature attached by user "Linkja" seems in fact to begin with a "J". Do you agree?;

2) Nonetheless, there is another Oberst Siebert mentioned here: http://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de/Personenregister/S/SiebertA.htm. He was also in Panzerregiment 11 (!), but his name is "Alfred".

So I am afraid there is some confusion. Are they different persons with the same rank and in the same battalion? Or are they the same person? Could it be that he had a compound name ("Alfred Johann"? "Johann Alfred"?).

I would greatly appreciate expert help here.

• I have done some quick research in Internet and I am a little bit confused. [...] but the signature attached by user "Linkja" seems in fact to begin with a "J". Do you agree?;
    [....]

Good morning, rutbats,

one can only disagree, it´s clearly an "S". Compare this letter with the letter "J" in Januar (= january) at the date in the upper right corner and you´ll see the difference.

• Good afternoon,

Yes, I can see the "S" now (although the comparison with the "J" in the upper right is not so convincing: it seems to be written by someone different from the one who signs). Thanks very much for that, history1.

In any case, the fact that it is signed "Siebert" (or is it "Sieberts"?) only complicates the identification: we do not know the initial of his first name.

So can have we know if he was "Johann" Siebert or "Alfred" Siebert"? As I said supra, there is an "Alfred" Siebert mentioned in http://lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de/Personenregister/S/SiebertA.htm as an oberstleutnant of the 11 Panzer Reg. BUT in General Raus' memoir (Panzer Operations: The Eastern Front Memoir of General Raus, 1941-1945), a "Johann" Siebert is mentioned at least four times.

Does someone have a clue as to who (Alfred, Johann) is the one who signs the document? Are they the same person?

Regards,
    Rut