Troop training in Bergen in the Lüneburg Heide

• What infantry units had there Troop training in Bergen in the Lüneburg Heide, before they came to the region south of Leningrad between August and October 1942?

Grateful for the help
    Ecke

• Hallo,

die Beschreibung würde gut auf die 96. Infanterie-Division passen. Jedoch sind deine Angaben
    ziemlich vage. Gibt es weitere Informationen um die Einheit eingrenzen bzw. die 96. Infanterie-
    Division bestätigen zu können? Beispielsweise den Aufstellungszeitraum?

Gruß
    Tobias

"Die Furcht trennt die, die folgen, von denen, welche selber führen."
    Kristian Eivind Espedal

Edited once, last by Tobias Giebel (August 11, 2015 at 5:32 PM).

• I understand German, but I hope it's okay that I am writing in English. I don't think you would understand my German.
    I had a two hour interview with him on audiotape, where he told me everything from the war. Unfortunately this tape is gone. What I have is what he wrote down on paper about the places he came to. I also got some information from WASt, and the information we find in his soldier book and letters.

I give you the places he were, and what troops he belonged to before he came to Bergen.
    - 1941 he came to: Wappen der Seefahrtschule Der Luftwaffe, Lobbe/Rügen. His erkennungsmarke: 14344, Fl. Ausb.-Regt.16.
    - 20 nov. 1941 he was at: 5 Kompanie-II. Fliegerausbildungs-Regiment 16. Standort: Schleswig
    - 3 april 1942 he was at: Luftwaffen-Kriegsschule7, von der Truppe in das Reservelazarett, Tulln
    - 3 aug. 1942 is a postcard from his sister to him at: 1 fanjunkerkompani, Luftwaffen-Kriegsschule 3 in Werder

- After Werder he came to Bergen. This is what he self wrote:
    - Nach Bergen / Luneburge heide. Ausbildung als Infanterist. (Welche Infanterist Einheit?)
    - Kam als Infanterist nach Staraja Russa beim Fluss Borussia südlich von Leningrad, auf dem Ladogasee, sechs Monate vor ich verletzt wurde.

- In den Soldat buch steht, dass er gehört zu Stellgruppe 15, 1 Febr. 1943
    - 18 Febr.1943 Verletzt.

(Er war am Ende des Februar 1943 verletzt, und dann kann er wahrscheinlich von Bergen zu Staraja Russa irgendwann zwischen August bis Oktober 1942)
    He always said that he belongs to Luftwaffe, and I don´t know if the 96. Infantry-Division belonged to Luftwaffe?
    I red on internet that the only Luftwaffe Felt Division in that area in Russia by this time was: 1. Luftwaffe-Fällt-Division, 16e armee, Heeresgruppe Nord, but I can´t find any information they have their education in Bergen.

I am very grateful that you help me.

Edited once, last by Ecke (August 11, 2015 at 7:45 PM).

• Hallo,

die 96. Infanterie-Division kommt natürlich NICHT in Frage. Sie wurde auch bereits 1939 aufgestellt.

Am wahrscheinlichsten ist die 12. Luftwaffenfeld-Division! Sie wurde Ende 1942 auf dem Truppen-
    übungsplatz Bergen aufgestellt und kam ab Anfang 1943 am Wolchow, westlich des Brückenkopfes
    Kirischi südlich des Ladogasees zum Einsatz.

Dir muss allerdings klar sein, dass mehr als Spekulation nicht drin ist. Mit deinen Angaben
    halte ich die 12. Luftwaffenfeld-Division aber für am wahrscheinlichsten. In welcher Einheit der
    Division er war wird man wohl kaum rausfinden können.

Gruß
    Tobias

Kristian Eivind Espedal

• Tobias
    I am very grateful for your answer. I guess you have found what I was looking for. 12. Luftwaffen-Feld-Division seems to fit in well with the description in time and place. Of course we can´t know for sure, but I think it´s a god guess. Probably there were some infantrymen in some of the units.

If you could help me with my last problem in this matter, I would be very thankful.
    When he recovered from his injury he came to the west front, but what unit?
    I have following information:

Data from the register WASt in Berlin
    12 jan. 1944, Abgang: garnisonsverwendungsfähig Heimat zum Feldersats Bataillon der Luftwaffe III, Ölmütz
    He told me:
    When he came back after being recovered from his wound, he was educated at SS in Tarnopol at Russian border. (I haven't found any SS education in Tarnopol)

Data from the register WASt in Berlin
    – 8 July 1944. Entry into service in the: Waffen-SS. Stabskompani 1, Pantzar Regiment, 1 Division.
    In his soldier book I found following information, but I don't know which was the first and last unit he belonged to:
    – Feldpost Nr: 57 282
    – Nr. der Krigsstammrolle 338
    – Wehrmachts Nr: Greifswald 21/110/2/1
    – C. Feldtruppenteil: 15 Pi.SS-Panzer-Gren.-Rgt 1, L.SS.A.H
    – D. Jetzt zuständiger Ersatsztruppenteil : SS-Pi.A.u.E. Btl. 1, Dresden
    – 29 nov. 1944, Received uniforms and weapons. Belongs to: Pionierschule der Waffen-SS, Lehrgruppe 3

This is the places his unit came to: Which unit?
    – Come with troop to Holland.
    – Came to Scherpenheuvel / Zichem, near Antwerp, Belgium
    – Came to Reims / France
    – On the way to Normandy. Came to Belgium
    – Came to Köln on the way back from Belgium
    – Prague: training as an SS troop leader (SS-Rottenführer). Finished in January 1945
    – 7 maj 1945, Captured by US troops at the Donau bogen /Near Budapest. Dienstgrad: SS-Rottenführer

Frage

• In the soldat buch it says he belongs to 15 Pi.SS-Panzer-Gren.-Rgt 1, L.SS.A.H. When I look for his Feldpost nr. 57 282 in Lexikon der Wehrmacht, he belongs to: 20 Pi.SS-Panzer-Gren.-Rgt 1, L.SS.A.H. (I haven't found any information about 20. Pionier-Kompanie)
    • According to WASte in Berlin his unit is: Pionierschule der Waffen-SS, Lehrgruppe 3, in (29 nov. 1944). That is after he enters his service in the: Waffen-SS. Stabskompani 1, Pantzar Regiment, 1 Division, in (8 July 1944) Is that possible?
    • Can the places where he has been on the west front tell you in what unit he served?

Would you help again I would be very grateful.

• Hallo,

I haven't found any information about 20. Pionier-Kompanie

die Pionierkompanie des SS-Panzergenadier-Regiment 1 LSSAH trug bis zum Mai 1944 die
    Nummer 20, anschließend die Nummer 15. Die Kompanien sind also identisch.

Can the places where he has been on the west front tell you in what unit he served?

das SS-Panzer-Regiment 1 LSSAH sowie das SS-Panzergrenadier-Regiment 1 LSSAH gehörten
    zur 1. SS-Panzer-Division LSSAH. Der Soldat scheint Angehöriger der Division (und erwähnten
    Regimenter) bis zum 29.11.1944 gewesen zu sein, was auch zu Belgien und Köln passt. Dann
    kam er als Rottenführer (=Private First Class) zur Pionierschule der SS in Hradischko.

Allerdings natürlich auch gut möglich das er erst nach der Pionierschule zur Pionierkompanie
    des SS-Panzergrenadier-Regiment 1 LSSAH gekommen ist.

Wenn er den Rückmarsch der Division von Belgien nach Köln mitgemacht hat, dann muss er
    spätestens um den 15. Januar 1945 wieder bei der 1. SS-Panzer-Division gewesen sein. Diese
    verlegte dann anschließend nach Ungarn, westlich Budapest, zur Plattenseeoffensive.

Gruß
    Tobias

Kristian Eivind Espedal

• Tobias.

You have helped me alot by bringing order in all the information. I think you got everything right.
    It took some time for me to answer, your text in german was a little bit too difficult for me to translate, but I think I managed it at last.

Do you know if there is a map where I can see and follow, how all the different German units moved around on the west front in 1944 - 45.

Thank you, I am very grateful for your help

Gruß
    Ecke